Scott Morrison just made the following announcements following a National Cabinet Meeting this morning:
- Less than 10% of COVID-19 cases in Australia are through community transmission at this point – avoiding many tens of thousands of cases that could have occurred by this point
- This Easter long weekend – everyone must stay at home. If they don’t, it will undo all the things that have been successful so far.
- Australia’s modelling by the Doherty Institute will be released today – its theoretical – its not based on Australian case data or measures and does not predict what will happen in Australia – its based on international data – it proves up the theory of flattening the curve through the measures Australia has in place – further modelling will be undertaken to incorporate Australian cases and responses
- Mandatory Commercial Tenancy Code will be legislated and regulated by each State and Territory and will apply to tenancies where the tenant or landlord are eligible for JobKeeper and have a turnover of $50 million or less
- It is based on good faith leasing principles – landlords must not terminate the lease or drawer on the tenant’s security and likewise tenants must honour the lease
- Landlords will be required to reduce the rent to take into account the reduction of business through a combination of waivers of rent and deferrals of rent – waivers must account of 50% at least of the losses
- Deferrals must be covered by the lease term (spreading out the costs over the period) or extension to the lease if it expires in under 6 months to spread the costs out
- The Leasing Code will be underpinned by a binding mediation process by States / Territories
Professor Murphy presented the modelling and how influential it is to help Australia with measures and tools to remain on the front food with COVID. This reports will be available later today – I will circulate once released.
PM showed the Safe Work Australia process for instructions of dealing with a COVID-19 case.