The theme for this year’s International Women’s day is #ChooseToChallenge with a particular focus on gender bias.
However, making the choice to challenge anything shouldn’t happen on just one day! Each and every day, in many aspects of our lives, we can #ChooseToChallege. Be it at home, in social situations or on the job in a myriad of situations:
- #ChooseToChallenge outdated attitudes like ‘boys will be boys’ or ‘girls don’t play with trucks’
- #ChooseToChallenge inequality in gender, race or religion
- Acknowledge your biases, we all have them, conscious and subconscious – in accepting them we can take real steps to change
How can I challenge bias:
- Start a conversation with a friend or colleague to explore your biases
- Call out inappropriate behaviour towards others
- Recognise others based on merit, not gender or background
- Find an International Women’s Day event in your city
- Get involved with the National Association of Women in Construction
From challenge comes change – if we all work together to maintain a positive, safe and inclusive environment, the faster that change will happen.